An Outline History
*Extracted from 1923 Annual Assembly of the Welsh Baptists held at Ogmore Vale.
Founded in the year 1879. A number of Christian men (about 14 or 15) came over
from Treorchy and started an English Baptist cause. They persevered for a few
years, holding services on Sunday and in the week in a house in Nantymoel Row,
then called Tinworks Row. During this time the Rev. Daniel Davies, minister of
Horeb English Baptist Church, Treorchy (late of Bethel, Tonypandy,) gave
ungrudgingly of his service to the young cause, and under his tender care it
grew and flourished until they were able to build a chapel in Station Road in
1881. In 1882 the young Church gave a call to the Rev. T. D. Mathias, and he
ministered unto them for l8 yean. During his ministry the Church flourished and
prospered so much that the building in Station Road became too small, and they
sold it, and it is now in the possession of the Congregationalists. The present
building (illustrated above) was built in 1894. The Rev. T. D. Mathias was at
last compelled to give up, being over 80 years of age. Thus ended his brilliant
career as preacher, lecturer, poet and controversialist, and when he retired he
had the satisfaction that he had been the means of building up a strong and
active Church. His widow is still a member at Horeb.
He was succeeded in the year 1902 by the Rev. H. R. Byatt, who after a
successful ministry of seven years left for London in 1910. In 1911 the Rev. M.
W. Mollin became their minister until he left for Barry in 1917. The Rev. H. R.
Byatt was invited to come back again in 1918, and he is still their minister.
Today they have a membership of 256, a Sunday School of 225 scholars, and the
prayer meeting is strong and glowing.